Job analysis is a formal and detailed examination of jobs. It is a systematic investigation of the tasks, duties and responsibilities necessary to a job.
According to US Labour
Job analysis is the process of determining, by observation and study, and reporting pertinent information relating to the nature of a specific job. It is the determination of the tasks which comprise the job and the skills, abilities and responsibilities required of the worker for a successful performance and which differentiates one job from all others.
According to Flippo
Job analysis is the process of studying and collecting information relating to the operations and responsibilities of a specific job. The immediate products of this analysis are job descriptions and job specifications.
According to R.J.Harvey
Job analysis involves gathering data about observable job behaviours, and delineating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics needed to perform the job.
According to R. Wayne Mondy et el.
Job analysis is the systematic process of determining the skills, duties and knowledge required for performing jobs in an organization.
According to Michael Armstrong
Job analysis is the process of collecting, analyzing, and setting out information about the content of jobs in order to provide the basis for a job description and data for the recruitment, training, job evaluation and performance management.
Thus, job analysis involves the process of identifying the nature of a job (job description) and the qualities of the likely job holder (job specification).In every organization, different types of personnel are required to perform different types of jobs. Job analysis provides the knowledge of nature and requirement of different jobs so that the suitable candidate can be found out.
Job analysis is a process of understanding, collecting and analyzing relevant facts of a job and the characteristics of the person who is likely to perform the job. Job Analysis = Job Description + Job Specification
The Outcomes of Job Analysis
The Workman Power Commission in U.S.A has suggested a four point job analysis formula to be used in making an accurate and useful job analysis.The points include in the formula are:
- What the worker does?
- How he does it ?
- Why he does it ?
- How much of skill is required for doing it ?
Features of Job Analysis
- Job analysis is a process of gathering relevant information about various aspects of a job and is concerned with the identification of tasks required to be performed as part of it.
- It approaches the task of defining the role, context, conditions, human behavior, performance standards and responsibilities of a job systematically.
- It helps in establishing the job’s worth to an organization. In other words, it measures the value and contribution of a job to the growth of the organization.
- It establishes job relatedness, which is a crucial input for HR decisions involving recruitment, selection, compensation, training, health and safety.
- It facilitates the process of understanding the impact of environmental changes on individual jobs.