The term ‘Indemnity` Simply means ‘Making Somebody Safe` or ‘Paying Somebody back`.
Section 124 of contract Act defines that ‘‘A contract by which one party. Promises to save the other from loss caused to him by the conduct of the promise himself by the conduct of any other person, is called a conduct of indemnity”.
The party who gives indemnity or who promises to compensate for or to make good the loss, is called. Indemnifier and the party for whose protection or safety the indemnity is given or the party whose loss is made good is called ‘Indemnified’ or ‘indemnity holder’. Important features of an indemnity contract –
- Two party.
- Promises for pay compensation of loss/damage.
- Loss/damage may be the own or other person.
- Creation of liabilities.
- It must be faith.
- All essential features of valid contract.
- Compensation for actual loss/damage.
- It may be express or implied. Loss/damage may be caused by some event, or accident, or some natural phenomenon or disaster.
Rights of Indemnified (Indemnity-Holder)
- Rights to claim for all damages/losses.
- Rights to claim for all costs which is related to contract.
- Rights to claim for all sums which his may have paid for contract.
Liabilities/Duties of Indemnified
- Liabilities to pay all damages/losses.
- Liabilities to pay all costs related to contract.
- Liabilities to pay all sum which is received by sell for contract from indemnified.
The object of the contract of guarantee is to enable. A person to obtain an employment, or a loan, or some goods or service on credit.
According to section 126 of the contract Act ‘‘A contract of guarantee is a contract to perform the promise, or discharge the liability, of a third person in case of his default.”
The person who gives the guarantee is called the ‘Surety’ or ‘guarantor’ & the person in respect of whose default the guarantee is given is called the principal debtor or he is the party on whose behalf. Guarantee is given and the person to whom the guarantee is given is called the ‘Creditor’.
Essential features of a Guarantee Contract
- Three parties
- Three agreement
- Concurrence of the three parties
- Control may be experts or implies
- It may be oral or written
- Liability of surety is secondary is dependent on principal debtor’s default.
- Guarantee must be in the knowledge of debtor.
- All essential of a valid contract.
- Guarantee must not be obtained by means of misrepresentation.
- Existence of a primary liability.
14 thoughts on “Special Contracts: Indemnity; Guarantee; Bailment and pledge; Agency.”
Amazing notes, covering almost all points of the topics.
Some points may be further added:-
DEFINITION OF INDEMNITY AS PER ENGLISH LAW
INDEMNITY AND INSURANCE
CLAIM OF LOSS BEFORE PAYMENT
– Usman Jamal vs. Gopal Purushottam, 1928 ILR, Kolkata
METHOD OF CREATING INDEMNITY OBLIGATIONS
SITUATIONS OF TYPES OF INDEMNITY CREATION
LIABILITY OF INDEMNIFIER
COMMENCEMENT OF LIABILITY OF INDEMNIFIER
DOCUMENTS AGREEMENTS OF INDEMNITY
LIABILITY OF SURETY
RIGHTS OF SURETY
POSITION OF MINOR
LETTER OF CREDIT OR BANK GUARANTEE
SURETY AS FAVOURED DEBTOR
Brikmyr vs. Darnell
CONTINUING GUARANTEE – Durga Priya Choudhary vs. Durga Pada
EXTENT OF SURETY’S LIABILITY S.128
FINDER OF GOODS AS BAILEE
ACTUAL DELIVERY AND CONSTRUCTIVE DELIVERY (Fazal vs. Salamat Rai)
RIGHT TO DISPOSE OF THE GOODS
BAILMENT AND HIRE PURCHASE
PLEDGE BY CERTAIN SPECIFIED PERSONS MENTIONED IN THE INDIAN CONTRACT ACT
KINDS OF AGENTS AND AGENCIES
DISTINGUISHEMENT BETWEEN AGENT AND SERVANT
LIABILITY OF PRINCIPAL FOR AGENT’S MISCONDUCT AND TORT
LIABILITY OF PRINCIPAL AND AGENT BEFORE AND AFTER TERMINATION
*Over all the notes are superb…….!!!
I really appreciate you taking the time to comment…Suggestions and new ideas are always welcome. I’ll try to add these points to this topic.
Thanks for being optimist 🙂
This is so amazing notes helps to know the whole objects ina topic good work??✋?
Thanks… nice notes…
Really it is very useful….Tq so much?
It is in point of fact a great and helpful piece of information. I am glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much this is a best not it’s helpful for my exam
I gotta favorite this website it seems handy extremely helpful
Keep up the good work! Thanks.
I truly wanted to write a brief note so as to say thanks to you for the stunning secrets you are sharing here. My extensive internet investigation has at the end of the day been paid with pleasant suggestions to share with my friends and family. I would repeat that we readers actually are unequivocally blessed to live in a very good network with many brilliant individuals with very helpful techniques. I feel somewhat grateful to have encountered your entire webpages and look forward to some more pleasurable minutes reading here. Thank you once more for everything.
Appreciate it for this grand post, I am glad I observed this site on yahoo.