Advantages of visual communication
Now-a-days, most of the business organizations are using visual techniques to present the information. It is becoming very popular day by day. Visual presentation is beneficial for many reasons. Some of them are as follows:
- Effective for illiterate receiver: If the receivers are illiterate, the visual communication will be more effective to exchange information. They can easily understand the information that is presented visually.
- Helps in oral communication: Visual techniques can be used with oral communication. Oral communication becomes more meaningful if graphs, pictures and diagrams are used with it.
- Easy explanation: Everyone can explain the meaning of it very easily. Easy explanation has made the visual techniques more popular.
- Simple presentation: Complex information, data and figures can be easily presented very simply on graphs, pictures and diagrams.
- Prevents wastage of time: Visual techniques help to prevent the wastage of time. Written and oral communication takes much time to exchange information. But number of receivers can be communicated at a time through visual methods.
- Helps in quick decision: Visual communication helps to take quick decision. So management prefers visual techniques to communicate with others.
- Popular: Visual communication is very much popular because people do not like much speech and long explanation rather than a chart of a diagram.
- Others: Artful presentation, Ads impact to the information, quicker understanding.
Disadvantages of visual communication
There are some limitations of visual communication as follows:
- Costly: The visual methods of communication are more costly than those of other methods. To draw maps, charts, diagram is costly. That is why only large company or organization can use this technique.
- Complex presentation: Sometimes visual presentation of information becomes complex. The receivers cannot understand the meaning of the presentation.
- Incomplete method: This technique is considered as an incomplete method. Visual presentation is not sufficient to communicate effectively and clearly but also it can be successfully used with oral communication.
- Wastage of time: Sometimes visual techniques take much time to communicate. Whereas oral communication takes no time to exchange information.
- Difficult to understand: Difficult to understand and requires a lot of repetitions in visual communication. Since it uses gestures, facial expressions, eye contact, touch etc. for communicating with others which may not be understandable for the simple and foolish people.
- Problem for general readers: General people are not prefers to communicate through visual communication with others. Sometimes it cannot create an impression upon people or listeners. It is less influential and cannot be used everywhere.
- Others: Ambiguity, situational problem, delays in taking decision.