Work Study is the systematic examination of the methods of carrying out activities such as to improve the effective use of resources and to set up standards of performance for the activities carried out.
A generic term for those techniques, particularly method study and work measurement, which are used in the examination of human work in all its contexts, and which lead systematically to to the investigation of all the factors which affect the efficiency and economy of the situation being reviewed, in order to effect improvement.
Components of Work Study
Work study is encompassed by two techniques i.e. Method Study and Work measurement.
a) Method study is systematic recording and critical examination existing and proposed ways of doing work,as a means of developing and applying easier and more effective methods and reducing costs.
b) Work measurement is the application of techniques designed to establish the time for a qualified worker to carry out a specified job at a defined level of performance.
There is a close link between Method Study and Work Measurement.Method study is concerned with the reduction of the work content and establishing the one best way of doing the job where as work measurement is concerned with investigation and education of any ineffective time associated with the job and establishing time standards for an operation carries out as per standard method.
Importance of Work Study
1. Work study is a means of enhancing the production efficiency(productivity) of the firm by elimination of waste and unnecessary operations.
2. It is a techniques to identify non-value adding operations by investigation of all the factors affecting the job.
3. It is the only accurate and systematic procedure oriented technique to establish time standards.
4. It is going to contribute to the profit as the savings will start immediately and continue throughout the life of the product.
5. It has got universal application.It is a tool which can be applied everywhere.It can be used with success wherever work is done or plant is operated,not only in manufacturing shops but also in offices,stores,laboratories and service industries such as wholesale and retail distribution and restraints, and on farms.
6. It can contribute to the improvement of safety and working conditions at work by exposing hazardous operations and developing safer methods of performing operations.
Advantages of Work Study
- It helps to achieve the smooth production flow with minimum interruptions.
- It helps to reduce the cost of the product by eliminating waste and unnecessary operations.
- Better work management relations
- Meets the delivery commitment.
- Reduction in rejections and scrap and higher utilization of resources of the organization.
- Helps to achieve better working conditions.
- Better workplace layout.
- Improves upon the existing process or methods and helps in standardization and simplification.
- Helps to establish the standard time for an operation or job which has got application in manpower planning,production planning.